• Users Online: 601
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 72-79

Outcome of pregnancy among women with threatened miscarriage in Latifa Hospital-Dubai


1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Latifa Hospital, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dubai Hospital, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Correspondence Address:
Bedaya Amro
Latifa Hospital, Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/HMJ.HMJ_77_18

Rights and Permissions

Aim: The aim of this study was to investigate the outcome of pregnancy among women with threatened miscarriage, and the risk factors that can affect it and to determine the effect of bed rest and progestogen therapy on that outcome. Materials and Methods: This is a retrospective study that involved all pregnant women who attended the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit in Latifa Hospital in Dubai with an intrauterine pregnancy and vaginal bleeding up to 14 weeks of gestation. The study was done in the period from March 2010 to March 2011. The main outcome measures included gestational age, baby weight at delivery and placental outcome. Results: A total of 129 pregnant women who met the inclusion criteria were analysed. The early foetal loss rate was 37.2%. Of the remaining, 62.8% who had continued their pregnancy, 23.4% of them had pre-term delivery and 9.9% had placental abruption. Regarding the baby outcome, 35.8% of women delivered low-birth-weight (LBW) babies (<2.5 kg). There was a statistically significant effect of increasing maternal age, increasing gravidity and increasing number of previous miscarriages on increasing the risk of miscarriage in current pregnancy (P < 0.05). No significant difference was found in using bed rest for the management of threatened miscarriage. On the other hand, using progestogen therapy significantly reduced the rate of miscarriage and the rate of LBW babies (P < 0.05). However, we found it had no significant effect on reducing pre-term delivery. Conclusions: Vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy (i.e. threatened miscarriage) is an important risk factor for adverse pregnancy outcomes, which should be taken into consideration when deciding on antenatal surveillance and counselling after a bleeding event. Overall, the results showed the positive effect of using progestogen therapy on pregnancy outcome. However, strong meta-analyses of prospective studies with good methodological quality are still needed to support its routine use in threatened miscarriage management.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed387    
    Printed27    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded41    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal